Tuesday, January 29, 2013

REVIEW: All Bets Are Off by Marguerite Labbe

Title: All Bets Are Off
Series: Mountain Boys
Author: Marguerite Labbe

Grade:  B-

Review:  Overall this was an enjoyable read.  It's always nice to see characters suffering with the same Red Sox mania I live with everyday. The characters were great. The two main characters were funny and had distinct voices. The secondary characters were well done too, but a little generic for me.  I would have loved to have them more like real New England yankees (small y, Yankees big Y are evil and are not worth writing about).  I live in western Maine so it's something I am probably oversensitive to, but I felt nonetheless.

The plot was good. The secondary plot about the army buddy was especially good. The twist on the who-done-it was interesting if obvious.  I'm trying not to give any spoilers, but if you read the book you'll know what's coming before you actually read it. That's not bad; it's just not high drama, but I don't think it's supposed to be.  FWIW--The sex was well done too.

I close with the eye candy...


Red Sox Jason Veritek & Kevin Millar circa 2004
 (Source: DC Landing Strip)

No comments:

Post a Comment